- To construct a newspaper structure (see figure) which stands on the ground and can fully cover people from the top.
- 20 sheets of Newspaper (half a sheet of newspaper divided vertically).
- Paper Cutter
- TUBES: Make the following tubes by rolling newspaper sheets length wise (each tube requires using different number of pages to create multiple levels of strength) :
- (1) Using 4 Sheets rolled length wise.
- (1) Using 3 Sheets rolled length wise
- (2) Using 2 Sheets rolled length wise
- (4) Using 1 Sheet rolled length wise
- (2) Using 2 Sheet rolled diagonally.
- SQUARES: Make 2 thick 3’’ x 3’’ square using 1/2 newspaper sheet for each rectangle and cut holes through the center.
- Insert the 3-sheet tube 2 inches inside 4-sheet tube and tape the joint.
- Similarly, insert the 2-sheet tube into 3-sheet tube.
- Insert another 2-sheet tube into the 2-sheet tube.
- Tape one end of each 1-sheet tube to 1 of the squares to form a ‘+’ shape.
- Insert the square at the bottom of the trunk.
- Bend each of the 1 sheet tubes at 1/3 of its length into a 60 degree angle towards the trunk.
- Tape the free end of each bent 1-sheet tube to the trunk.
- Cut a hole in the center of both diagonally rolled 2-sheet tubes.
- Insert the top of the main support (2 sheet end) through the holes of the extra long 2 sheet tubes.
- Situate the diagonally rolled 2-sheet tubes approximately 3 inches from the top.
- Tape the 2 sheet tubes in an ‘+’ shape.
- Insert the top of the trunk through the hole in the 2nd square and tape the square to the top.
- Tape whole sheets of newspaper (4 in total) from each of the extremities of the branches to the square.